Gå till innehåll

Where from do you buy your fish?

Rekommenderade inlägg

Hi!

Two months ago I started a 60L nano tank. I purchase live rock from Triton. On the rocks I found 4-5 aptaisia which I had to remove and I still have a mantis hitchhiker shrimp. I thought that was normal and Triton cannot control these things. A couple of weeks ago I went again to Triton and bought an oc. clownfish. Today I lost the fish because it was infected with Brooklynella. So now I am wondering what your experience with Triton is?

I have been to a couple other shops.

ZOO - at bromma blocks which resembles LIDL super markets but for pets. The fish section is small and most fish look terrible.

AKVARIELAGRET - in Ulvsunda... I have no words to describe this horror of shop.

AKVARIELEASING -is in Sundbyberg. This one looked kind of nice, but the fish selection was below minimal.

In comparison to the above three Triton looks like an oasis in the desert. But what is your experience?

Where do you guys buy fish from?

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

• Svar 51
  • Skapad
  • Senaste svar

Mest aktiva i detta ämne

Mest aktiva i detta ämne

Populära bilder

You can also order from dejong using aquatechnicnordic, I think...

However, triton is a good store and I don't think you should be so quick to judge them. Live rock will have hitchhikers on them, aptasia and mantis shrimp can be present in any stone.

And brooklynella is an unfortunate disease, but triton does keep their fish in quarantine before they sell them, so you getting a fish that still had the disease is very unfortunate, have you talked to triton about this?

Sent from my IPhone

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Hi!

Two months ago I started a 60L nano tank. I purchase live rock from Triton. On the rocks I found 4-5 aptaisia which I had to remove and I still have a mantis hitchhiker shrimp.

Thats the "Live" part in "Live Rock". Welcome to reef keeping.
A couple of weeks ago I went again to Triton and bought an oc. clownfish. Today I lost the fish because it was infected with Brooklynella. So now I am wondering what your experience with Triton is?

How do you know its Brook? Brooklynella is treatable with formalin. Fish get sick, especially in brand new started tanks. Its up to the keeper to treat them. Welcome to fish keeping.

Nothing wrong with any of the stores mentioned. No stores have the ability to treat all fish for all diseases. But you do.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Hi Ionnis

Sorry for your loss, but I can assure you that we don´t have Brooklynnella-infected clowns - they are breeded, quarantined for several weeks and the present batch in our salestanks has been there for months!

Brooklynella is very aggressive and would have wiped out the entire batch of 500 animals long ago!

Hitchikers are normally present in a lot of different shapes - good one´s and bad ones - thats the interresting part with good quality fresh live rock - but aptaisa can also develop from ceramic dry-rock substitute given the rigth conditions.

//Leffe

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

I know it was brooklynela because the clown had all the symptoms. Also when I buy something be it fish or a coffee maker I expect it to be in good shape. In this case the store sold me a sick fish. Now I'm left with a tank that has to sit fallow 3 months before I add anything. If I was to blame for the fish disease I would of course be responsible for the treatment too. But this is just frustrating!! My tank may be new but my water is excellent after the first months. I know this because I have been testing every other day.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Hey Leffe.

I will take your word that you don't have any brooklynela. So where did I get it from?

the only fish I had was this clown that I bought from you.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Hey Leffe.

I will take your word that you don't have any brooklynela. So where did I get it from?

the only fish I had was this clown that I bought from you.

You can get brooklynella from ANY wet thing you put in your tank, like a stone, a coral, invertebrates or such.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

In that case I got it either from a member here called saltatrox because I bought some zoas from him. Although his fish looked very healthy. And the other case would be from akvarieleasing where I bought another coral from.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Normally it will take 5 - 7 days for a generation of Brooklynella. And one or two generations after the import until the big outbreak is normal by me. If there is no Brooklynella outbreak in 5 days after import in my quarantine it will generally not come.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Akvarieleasing is building a very nice new fish facility

Yes I know that's what they told me. Too bad I will not be able to buy anything for another 3 months. Good for my savings bad for their business.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Yes I know that's what they told me. Too bad I will not be able to buy anything for another 3 months. Good for my savings bad for their business.

I hope they can wait for you to fill up your tank again.

The owner will probably buy a new Ferrari.

Patrik

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

What result did you have of no2, no3 and salinity before you dropped that fish in. How often did you feed it? And of course you might have gotten a "bad" example but why take this problem here and not with the shop instead?

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

What result did you have of no2, no3 and salinity before you dropped that fish in. How often did you feed it? And of course you might have gotten a "bad" example but why take this problem here and not with the shop instead?

Ammonia and nitrates were both zero for over a month. Nitrates were around 8., PH 8.2 ans salinity at 1.024.

I brought this here because I wanted to know what are your experience from the LFS shops that are available here in Stockholm. This is my first tank and I thought it would be better to ask you guys what you thought about them. Maybe there are other sources/shops to buy from that I am not aware of.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Gå med i konversationen

Du kan posta nu och registrera dig senare. Om du har ett konto, logga in nu för att posta med ditt konto.

Svara på detta ämne...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Ditt tidigare innehåll har återskapats.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Skapa Ny...