Gå till innehåll

Inkoppning

Petter N

Rekommenderade inlägg

Tänkte eventuellt köpa lite nassariussnäckor, mitraxkrabbor och eremitkräftor. Frågan är hur noggrann inkoppning brukar ni göra ni göra med dessa djur? Jag själv brukar koppa in dem under en timme, men jag har också slängt i eremitkräftor och även vissa snäckor direkt. Jag har inte märkt någon skillnad i överlevnad. Hur brukar ni forummedlemmar göra?

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Jag hade extremt mycket problem att få mina snäckor att överleva i början. Köpte massor i omgångar från samma leverantör och alla dog knom några veckor. Provade att acklimatisera dem i upp till sex timmar och det hjälpte inte. Jag gav upp efter ett tag men sen handlade några jag på ett annat ställe och bara släppte i dem i karet direkt utan acklimatisering och alla lever fortfarande.

Läste på rätt mycket om det och det är ganska många som förespråkar att de ska fraktas i fuktigt tidningspapper istället för nedsänkta i vatten. 10 sniglar i en påse använder upp allt syre snabbt och återhämtar sig inte från syrebristen.

Jag är definitivt ingen expert men det har funkat för mig när jag köper enstaka djur och sen snabbt slänger dem i karet när jag kommer hem.

Långt urklipp från en tråd på reefs.org där det diskuteras i separat post nedan:

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

They should be put directly into full strength sea water. If they were shipped from a normal locality their blood/hemolymph is at sea osmolality. This is the best way to ship them by the way.

Dallas Warren

They should be put directly into full strength sea water.

So the snails maintain their internal tissue at the salinity adjusted to what they were exposed to before being packed, essentially? Which then means you have to assume that the water you are putting them into is the same salinity as that which they were pulled out of. I know I can say it is pretty close at the store I work at, but others I am not so sure.

Now if it isn't then we have a problem don't we? No way to slowly acclimatise the snail to the water conditions. Isn't it then safer to ship them with water, and then acclimatise them at the other end for a long enough time?

The snails I've seen here were always shipped in normal bags.

Actually, in wet newspaper is the only way I have seen them shipped here. With the exception of my own shipping attempts in bags with shreaded plastic and a little water (just like Acropora).

Ronald Shimek

So the snails maintain their internal tissue at the salinity adjusted to what they were exposed to before being packed, essentially?

Well, sort of. If they were healthy when collected and maintain, they can osmoregulate to a fair degree. They "try" to keep their blood at sea water osmolarity. If they are maintained in low salinity prior to shipping and then shipped moist, they will lose excess water making their internal concentration more saline.

Which then means you have to assume that the water you are putting them into is the same salinity as that which they were pulled out of. I know I can say it is pretty close at the store I work at, but others I am not so sure.

The water should be as close to full strength sea water as possible.

Now if it isn't then we have a problem don't we?

Yes.

No way to slowly acclimatise the snail to the water conditions. Isn't it then safer to ship them with water, and then acclimatise them at the other end for a long enough time?

No. Shipping in water is really an awful way to handle most reasonably robust inverts with high metabolic rates. But it has nothing to do with salinity.

When animals are shipped they respire normally as long as their gills are wet. If they are immersed in sea water, and they have a reasonably high metabolic rate (snails, clams, crustaceans, many worms), they will rapidly exhaust the oxygen from the sea water and fill the sea water with carbon dioxide. This gas is exchanged at the water surface in the bag, mostly by diffusion and some by turbulence. This is a very slow way to replenish oxygen.. Assuming some motion in the bag, this water will be partially mixed, but it will always be lower oxygen tension than is normal or optimal. Sometimes very much lower. This REALLY stresses the animal. Recovery at the end of this treatment is always somewhat iffy.

If the animals are kept moist in 100 percent humidity air, the gills are covered by a thin film of water, both carbon dioxide and oxygen can diffuse rapidly through this thin layer and the animals will survive a whole lot better than if kept submerged in water. The animals suffer no oxygen deficit and remain inactive as well. They basically just "wait it out." When put in water at the far end of the trip, they are ready to go...

I use to ship temperate marine inverts from one lab I worked at pretty much all over the US. I wrapped 'em in algae (kelp - lotsa mucus, keeps everything damp), then in damp newspaper, then into plastic bags. Most species could live a week or more under these conditions, and be fine at the far end.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Jag hade stora problem med sniglar ett tag, men sedan fick jag till en metod som fungerar jättebra för mig.

Jag kör med långsam dropp, i snitt 2 timmar, och antigen häller jag ut dom i ett litet plastkar eller låter dom stå kvar i påsen. nedsänkt i en behållare med uppvärmt vatten, samma temperatur som karet.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Nästan alla transporter jag sett tidigare från fjärran östern så har snäckorna varit förpackade en och en eller två och två i vatten. Oavsett hur man tar hand om dem så kan man få massdöd - ibland efter mycket långsam inkoppning. Senaste sändningen jag såg - från USA - var mer än 50 snäckor förpackade fuktigt i en påse med tidningspapper - det är inte många som dött i den sändningen. Att transportera organismer i fuktig omgivning i stället för vatten har jag varit med om förut - ål till exempel går utmärkt att transportera liggandes i brödbackar (staplade ovanpå varandra) och med en back med is högst upp - smälter sakta och håller ålarna nedkylda och fuktiga. De gånger vi gjorde så hade vi en mycket högre överlevnad än vid normal transporter (syremättat vatten)

MVH Lasse

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Gå med i konversationen

Du kan posta nu och registrera dig senare. Om du har ett konto, logga in nu för att posta med ditt konto.

Svara på detta ämne...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Ditt tidigare innehåll har återskapats.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Skapa Ny...