Gå till innehåll

Lite intressant om UV-C

PatriksS

Rekommenderade inlägg

Uv-c:n bryter ner bl.a. humussyror med följden av fria radikaler:

Possible mechanisms of the UV-C induced degradation of HAs

Taking into account energy of photons (E = hc/l) of the low-pressure Hg burner, emitting at l = 254 nm ( E = 470 kJ/mol) and aqueous air-saturated solutions, several reaction mechanisms can be envisaged.

The emitted energy can dissociate covalent bonds such as C-C, C-H, O-H, C-O and ionize susceptible moieties of HA macromolecule, producing free radicals R. and e-:

art-05-wzor1.jpg

art-05-wzor2.jpg

art-05-wzor3.jpg

In Na2CO3 solutions containing dissolved CO2 additional formation of superoxide ion-radical can take place:

art-05-wzor4.jpg

art-05-wzor5.jpg

Dismutation of art-05-wzor-t.jpg generates hydrogen peroxide:

art-05-wzor6.jpg

which reacting with art-05-wzor-t.jpg produces a highly reactive hydroxyl radical in the Haber-Weiss cycle:

art-05-wzor7.jpg Hydroxyl radical hydroxylates organic molecules at a diffusion-controlled rate, initiating degradation reactions. Moreover, primary produced radicals R· produce organic unstable peroxides ROO·. All the ROS can attack susceptible moieties of HA macromolecule, which finally leads to its gradual breakdown.

samt:

Photodegradation of relatively resistant HS to compounds of lower molecular weight and higher hydrophobicity during UV-C irradiation is likely to enhance microbiological growth in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.

Källa:http://www.ejpau.media.pl/series/volume5/issue2/environment/art-05.html

Vidare:

Dissolved organic matter (DOM) can be degraded by sunlight into a variety of photoproducts that stimulate the growth and activity of microorganisms in aquatic environments. All biologically labile photoproducts identified to date fall into one of four categories: (1) low-molecular-weight (MW) organic compounds (carbonyl compounds with MW of <200); (2) carbon gases (primarily CO); (3) unidentified bleached organic matter; and (4) nitrogen and phosphorus-rich compounds $(including NH_4^+ and PO_4^3-)$. A number of laboratory studies using bacterial bioassay approaches have shown that the photochemical breakdown of DOM can stimulate biomass production or activity by 1.5- to 6-fold.

Results of photochemical studies, extrapolated to estimate formation rates of biologically available photoproducts from DOM in surface waters, also predict important biological roles for these compounds.

In a continental shelf system, for example, full exposure of surface seawater to sunlight for one summer day can produce DOM photodegradation products equivalent to >20% of the bacterial carbon demand.

Likewise, 30% of the bacterial nitrogen demand can be met by photodegradation of the nitrogen components of DOM, a process likely to be of particular importance in nitrogen-limited systems. When considered on a depth-integrated basis around the globe, at least $1.0 \times 10^15 g C and 0.15 \times 10^15 g N$ are estimated to be available annually for utilization by planktonic microorganisms through the conversion of light-absorbing fractions of DOM to more biologically labile compounds. By comparison, direct photochemical mineralization of DOM is estimated to convert $12-16 \times 10^15 g C$ to $CO_2$ annually.

Källa: http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0024-3590%28199709%2942%3A6%3C1307%3AROPITF%3E2.0.CO%3B2-C&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

Lite till:

The photochemical transformation of dissolved organic matter (DOM) in lakes and oceans has been shown to either reduce or enhance bacterial utilization. We compared the effects of UV radiation on the bacterial use of DOM in a wide range of lakes.

Although complex DOM was converted in all irradiated samples into carboxylic acids that are readily utilized by bacteria, irradiation in several lakes resulted in a decreased ability of DOM to support bacterial growth. The effect of irradiation on the ability of DOM to promote bacterial growth was a positive function of the terrestrial humic matter, and a negative function of indigenous algal production. We suggest that the net effect of irradiation is a result of counteracting but concurrent processes rendering DOM either labile or recalcitrant.

Humic DOM is predominantly transformed into forms of increased lability, whereas photochemical transformation into compounds of decreased bacterial substrate quality dominates in algal-derived DOM. Hence, solar-induced photochemical reactions interact with microbial degraders in different ways, depending on the origin and nature of the organic matter, affecting the transfer of energy within aquatic food webs, as well as the degradation and preservation of detrital organic matter, in different directions.

Källa: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/ele/2001/00000004/00000005/art00014

Vidare:

The interaction between photochemical and biological processes in the degradation of marine dissolved organic matter (DOM) was investigated with seawater from a coastal southeastern U.S. salt marsh. Seawater supplemented with humic substances was exposed to alternating cycles of sunlight (equivalent to 8 h of midday sun) and dark incubations with natural bacterial populations (1-2 weeks in length). Photochemical degradation of the DOM was monitored during sunlight exposure by direct measurements of dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) and carbon monoxide (CO) formation in $0.2-\mu m$ filtered seawater. Bacterial degradation was monitored during dark incubations by tritiated leucine uptake and changes in bacterial numbers in bacterivore-free incubations and by direct measurements of DOM loss. The alternating cycles of sunlight and microbial activity resulted in more complete degradation of bulk DOM and marine humic substances than was found for nonirradiated controls (i.e. with microbial activity alone) by a factor of up to 3-fold. Increased decomposition was due both to direct losses of carbon gas photoproducts (DIC and CO in a 15:1 ratio) and to enhanced microbial degradation of photodegraded DOM, with approximately equal contributions from each pathway. Mass balance calculations indicated that low-molecular-weight carbon photoproducts, currently considered to be the compounds responsible for stimulating bacterial activity following photodegradation of DOM, were insufficient to account for the enhanced bacterial production observed. Thus, higher molecular weight, chemically uncharacterized fractions of DOM may also be modified to more biologically available forms during exposure to natural sunlight.

Källa: http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0024-3590%28199709%2942%3A6%3C1317%3AIOPAMP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-J&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

Något mer:

The effects of photochemical transformations on the bioavailability of marine dissolved organic matter (DOM) were investigated in surface and deep water from the Gulf of Mexico. Seawater samples were collected from eight depths (15-1,000 m), passed through $0.2-\mu m$ pore-size filters, and exposed to sunlight in quartz bottles in a flowing seawater deck incubator for 5-9 h. Following sunlight exposure, samples were inoculated (1:10) with unfiltered seawater from 15-m depth, and bacterial growth rates were estimated from rates of $^3H-leucine$ incorporation in dark incubations. Exposure of surface-water DOM to sunlight resulted in a 75% reduction in bacterial production, whereas exposure of deep-water DOM resulted in a 40% enhancement in bacterial production. Photomineralization of bioreactive DOM likely contributed to the reduction of bacterial growth in surface water, but the photoproduction of biorefractory DOM also appeared to contribute to reduced bacterial growth. Enhanced bacterial growth in irradiated deep water was consistent with previous studies demonstrating the photoproduction of bioavailable substrates from deep-water DOM. Phototransformations of DOM appeared to be multifaceted and to play a critical role in the cycling of DOM in the ocean.

Källa: http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0024-3590%28199809%2943%3A6%3C1373%3APTOSAD%3E2.0.CO%3B2-B&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

Ännu en:

The effect of ultraviolet radiation on the bioavailability of dissolved organic matter (DOM) to marine bacterioplankton was investigated in the Mediterranean Sea (Strait of Gibraltar, South and North Aegean Sea) and in the Caribbean Sea off Curacao. Surface-water samples (collected between 1 and 85 m in depth) exposed to solar radiation did not show a distinct pattern in subsequent bacterial growth. However, samples collected from a pronounced chlorophyll maximum (two stations in the Strait of Gibraltar and four stations in the Aegean Sea) displayed in a 50$\%$ lower bacterial activity in the radiation-exposed treatments compared with the dark controls. In contrast, mesopelagic water samples (200-350 m in depth) exposed to surface solar radiation exhibited a two- to fourfold increase in bacterial activity compared with the corresponding dark controls. Addition of the model protein bovine serum albumin (BSA) to mesopelagic-water samples and subsequent exposure to solar radiation resulted in a 50$\%$ lower rate of bacterial activity compared with the dark treatments, thus indicating the occurrence of photochemically induced changes to this labile compound. This decrease in bacterial activity in BSA-amended, irradiated water was also detectable in surface waters sampled off Curacao, whereas BSA amendment to surface water from the Mediterranean Sea did not result in a distinct pattern of bacterial activity. Our data indicate that exposure of DOM to solar radiation causes a reduced bioavailability of the exposed DOM to bacterioplankton, if the bacterial activity:dissolved organic carbon (DOC) concentration ratio is high (indicative of labile DOM). If the bacterial activity:DOC ratio is low (indicative of more refractory DOM), the bioavailability of the DOM is increased upon exposure to solar radiation.

Källa: http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0024-3590%28199911%2944%3A7%3C1645%3ACEOSRO%3E2.0.CO%3B2-L&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

Lite till:

Production of Nitrite from the Photodegradation of Dissolved Organic Matter in Natural Waters

Robert J. Kieber,* Andrea Li, and Pamela J. Seaton

Department of Chemistry and Marine Science Program, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina 28403-3297

Received for review February 25, 1998

Revised manuscript received December 15, 1998

Accepted December 18, 1998

Abstract:

Significant concentrations of nitrite NO2- were produced from the photodegradation of humic substances (HS) isolated from a variety of natural waters in coastal North Carolina. Nitrite concentrations were 40-118% higher after light exposure relative to initial levels, while no statistical differences were observed in dark controls before and after irradiation. The amount of nitrite produced upon irradiation was positively correlated to the concentration of HS added (r = 0.97, p < 0.001) and to the length of irradiation. The average production rate, normalized to both humic substance concentration and time of light exposure, for all HS studied ranged from 9.7 to 17 [nM (W-h)-1 m-2 mg-1] × 105. This translates into an average yearly nitrite production of 2 × 106 mol yr-1 in the top one meter of Onslow Bay. When natural waters were irradiated, changes in nitrite were influenced by both initial nitrite and humic substance concentrations. The rate of nitrite photochemical formation in typical coastal waters (4 nM h-1) was smaller than its direct photolysis rate (23 nM h-1) and smaller than reported rates of ammonium generation via DOM photodegradation (50 nM h-1) and of the same order of magnitude as NH4+ incorporation during humification (1 nM h-1). The photochemical release of biologically available nitrite from biologically refractory humic substances has significant implications with respect to nitrite biogeochemistry and N cycling in natural waters and suggests HS bound N is more biogeochemically labile than previously thought.

Källa: http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/esthag/1999/33/i07/abs/es980188a.html

Slutsats: lös organik (DOM) bryts ner av uv-c bestrålning. Detta ligger troligen bakom det faktum att ett uv-c filter får vattnet att se så klart och transparent ut. Dessutom gör uv-c att lös organik blir mera lättillgänglig för mikrober (och kanske alger??).

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Jahaja, då har vi knäckt frågan varför PatriksS postar så många länkar - hans "favoriter" i webläsaren är full! :ler:

Saken är den att sen jag stängde av mitt UV så har inget negativt hänt... nästan så jag skulle kunna påstå tvärtom, men detta helt och totalt ovetenskapligt.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Ptja, det gjorde varken från eller till på vita-prick bland annat. Alger visste vi ju redan att det är verkningslöst för så den biten behöver jag inte ta upp. Allt växer på som förut och jag har inga problem direkt...

...vilket får mig att fundera på paralleler med det man säger i ZEOvit-metoden att UV-C dödar "nyttiga bakterier"?

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Uvc och ozons första och viktigaste effekt enligt mig är att skapa fria radikaler som oxiderar mot första bästa jon i vattnet. Det vanligaste är att de oxiderar amoniak till nitrat utan att passera gå. Detta upprätthåller kvävefosforkvoten och förebygger därigenom uppkomst av vissa skitalger.

Dessutom gör denna oxidation att miljön för fiskarna blir bättre, jämför med den vanligt förekommande föreställningen att nytillsats av fisk ger prickutslag och att uvc mildrar/tar bort denna. Nytillsats av fisk skapar en ny belastning på systemet som det inte finns resurser att ta hand om. Den ökade belastningen gör att man får en tillfällig spik av amoniak i akvariet, denna tillsammans med stresshormoner i vattnet försvagar fiskarna så att pricken kan invadera. En massiv insats med uvc eller ozon gör att amoniaktoppen mildras/ förkortas och i bästa fall uteblir. Detta ökar fiskarnas imunförsvar och gör att infektionen mildras/förkortas och i bästa fall uteblir.

Att uvn skulle göra någon signifikant skillnad på mängden patogener i vattnet har jag svårt att tro, men att den via sin oxiderande effekt förbättrar miljön i akvariet och därmed fiskarnas egna motståndskraft blir jag mer och mer övertygad om.

MVH

Magnus

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Det finns tabeller på hur mycket UV- strålning olika patogener och alger tål. (Eller kanske snarare inte tål). Cirkulerar man vattnet en gång per timme eller mer betyder det rätt mycket.

Jag har ett 10 watt UV som dödar ungefär 99% av frisimmande cryptocaryon vid 500 liters genomflöde. Det sätter jag i mitt karantänkar med 120 liter vatten vid behov. Cryptocaryon brukar vara borta på fem - sex dagar.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Viktigt är att man har insuget vid botten där parasiterna sprids.

Detta måste jag lägga på minnet.

Uvc och ozons första och viktigaste effekt enligt mig är att skapa fria radikaler som oxiderar mot första bästa jon i vattnet. Det vanligaste är att de oxiderar amoniak till nitrat utan att passera gå. Detta upprätthåller kvävefosforkvoten och förebygger därigenom uppkomst av vissa skitalger.

Amen. Sambandet mellan ammoniumspikar och alger i sötvatten är ganska känt, något liknande borde vara i saltvatten.

Däremot det här är något som jag är lite tveksam till, Magnus:

Att uvn skulle göra någon signifikant skillnad på mängden patogener i vattnet har jag svårt att tro

Spanky på TRT anger att man på korall- och marinlabb i USA kör med uv-c nästan utan undantag. Anledningen är bland annat att uv-c agerar som (eller kanske t o m mkt bättre än ) aktivt kol gentemot korallernas och algernas gifter i deras kemiska krigsföring och andra dylika "irritants". UV-C:n uppges ta död på korallgifterna mkt snabbt och mkt effektivt. Vilket för mig är en stor plus så man slipper köra med aktivt kol. Se också Stigs inlägg nedan.

Det finns tabeller på hur mycket UV- strålning olika patogener och alger tål. (Eller kanske snarare inte tål). Cirkulerar man vattnet en gång per timme eller mer betyder det rätt mycket.

Jag har ett 10 watt UV som dödar ungefär 99% av frisimmande cryptocaryon vid 500 liters genomflöde. Det sätter jag i mitt karantänkar med 120 liter vatten vid behov. Cryptocaryon brukar vara borta på fem - sex dagar.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Ptja, det gjorde varken från eller till på vita-prick bland annat. Alger visste vi ju redan att det är verkningslöst för så den biten behöver jag inte ta upp. Allt växer på som förut och jag har inga problem direkt...

Hur blev det med klarheten på vattnet? Det kanske tar nu ett tag innan du får en uppbyggnad av organiska föreningar i vattnet efter uv-c:ns avstängning och får "grumligare" vattenkolumn.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Spanky på TRT anger att man på korall- och marinlabb i USA kör med uv-c nästan utan undantag. Anledningen är bland annat att uv-c agerar som (eller kanske t o m mkt bättre än ) aktivt kol gentemot korallernas och algernas gifter i deras kemiska krigsföring och andra dylika "irritants". UV-C:n uppges ta död på korallgifterna mkt snabbt och mkt effektivt. Vilket för mig är en stor plus så man slipper köra med aktivt kol. Se också Stigs inlägg nedan.

Ajaj, inte visste jag att korallernas allopatiska kemikalier räknades som patogener. Får väl försöka att tygla mig innan jag använder ord som jag inte riktigt känner till deffinitionen på, eller du?? :)

Sen får jag väl erkänna att det var en lite klumpig formulering från min sida, men jag känner mig inte kränkt för det:)

Vad jag menade är väl egentligen att jag inte tror att uv-c kan reducera en patogen så mycket att den försvinner och smittrisken elimineras. Blir det mycket förändringar och mycket stress i karet så kan de hitta sin marknad med eller utan uv-c.

MVH

Magnus

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Föresten... Det snackas en hel del om uv-cs förmåga att fördärva järnchelat inom sötvattensakvaristiken. Jag vet ju inte så mycket om järn och alla olika skepnader det kan förekomma i, men drar mig till minnes att alla saltakvarsiter jag träffat som sett ett behov av järntillsats har använt antingen uv-c eller ozon. Är det ett samband eller bara jag som yrar?

MVH

Magnus

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

• 1 månad senare...

Gå med i konversationen

Du kan posta nu och registrera dig senare. Om du har ett konto, logga in nu för att posta med ditt konto.

Svara på detta ämne...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Ditt tidigare innehåll har återskapats.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Skapa Ny...