Jump to content

Gregs peninsula wall tank build


Jonesyg

Recommended Posts

With the go ahead from management I can now start my dream project! :)

This is my build thread for my new 550 litre peninsula wall tank build.

 

I will be building the tank into the wall between the wash room and my office, currently I have a reefer 250 and a frag tank which I will move livestock and equipment across from to the new tank. 

 

I will post updates throughout the build, comments and suggestions are welcome!

64bbe3da-42d5-46c4-8b8f-1ca7986f198b.PNG

20240118_182455.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tank stand finished, next job is to move the water outlet and electrical sockets before cutting the wall. 

 

I used 120x45mm C24 wood and 15mm marine ply for the tank and sump area. An extra middle support will be added in front of the sump once equipment is added.

20240220_144003.jpg

20240220_143956.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday the plumber came and moved the water outlets and drain, this weekend I am hoping to have the hole cut in the wall and the tank in place. 

I also finished a custom overflow weir and lid. 

 

 

20240223_054434.jpg

20240223_054458.jpg

20240223_054428.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today i have fixed the floor supports in the crawl space, I used two 95x95 beams spanning 4 joists, then attached 4 1.5T floor props which are sat on concrete plates. This is capable of handling much more weight than required, but i prefer the extra safety! 

 

20240302_141453.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Work has started on the plumbing today, starting with the return pipework. Added valves for frag tank, reactor and one spare. I also added connection points for the UV system. 

My previous tank had the UV feed draining to the sump, this time I will try it plumbed back into the return to the tank, adding a valve after the UV to regulate the flow and not create negative pressure over the bulb. 

I will also add a fixed pipe from my mixing station for easier water changes :) 

 

20240309_184318.jpg

20240309_144757.jpg

20240309_184323.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to make a button box to connect to the Apex break out box for controlling equipment and triggering Feed cycles. Should be much easier than messing with the app!

 

 

20240410_124726.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Now the tank has been filled with water at last! Some changes to the sump was needed to get the correct water height for the roller filter. I will move some live rock and bio balls from the 250 system across and hopefully start transferring fish in a few weeks. When the 250 is empty I can then start moving across the Apex systems and fixing the electrical cabinet. 

Still lots of work to do in both the office and fish room !

 

20240426_162930.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of work in the past week, flooring and decorating is nearly finished in the office, cycling of the tank is well underway. Today lighting was added 2 x XR15 pros and 1 XR30.

Getting close to starting to move livestock across from the 250! :) 

20240505_172300.jpg

20240505_172313.jpg

20240505_185228.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jonesyg said:

Bit more progress this week, 250 tank has been moved and a smaller QT tank is now in its place. All corals have been moved over and are doing well. 

20240519_183019.jpg

20240519_183032.jpg

20240518_105914.jpg

IMG-20240519-WA0002.jpeg

Looking good. By the way, it’s a bad idea to have the uv installed completely horizontal like that as you won’t be able to completely fill it with water which will make it vastly less effective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MichaelE @stigigemla I was very tight on space in the end so it ended being the only place for it, the sump area ended up being smaller than I wanted due to the height requirement of the tank on the other side of the wall.  I pushed through max flow a few times to try and clear any trapped air but there is probably some stuck at the end of course. If it becomes an issue I can always re do that section of plumbing, I have extra valves prepared also for future additions. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...