Gå till innehåll

YEEEhaaaa

the rookie

Rekommenderade inlägg

• Svar 124
  • Skapad
  • Senaste svar

Mest aktiva i detta ämne

Jag hade en Cerianthus membranaceus några år och när den högg mot fingrarna var det problem att lossa tentaklerna. Den lyckades nästan varje gång att skicka dit några tentakler till också.Vanliga anemoner brukar man ju lossa fastsittande tentakler genom att gnida litet mucus från anemonfoten mot det stället som fastnat varpå de släpper. Inte en chans med Cerianthusen. En gång kliade jag mig i ansiktet efter att ha tagit i den och fick ett litet brännsår typ exem. Men de är häftiga att mata. En räka kunde den rycka in till munnen nästan lika snabbt som en rörmask går i skydd. Och sedan låg det en boll av tentakler över till dess räkan var svald. Fick den artemia gjorde den ett veck i tentakeln över artemian och sedan kunde man se hur artemian"flöt" inåt anemonens centrum på tentakelns yta. När den var lagom långt in vek tentakeln sig på nytt och förde över artemian till en muntentakel.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Det var ett tag sedan sist ..har dock varit mycket i jobb samt julen o allt det där.

Har haft stora problem med en H. Magnifica som jag inte klarade av att behålla ...hade den i ca en vecka och skulle tillbaka med den till affären i måndags, kom hem ifrån lite jobb och fann den riven i mitten och inget hopp om överlevnad ...tyvärr ...önskar att jag inte köpt den då den inte klarade av ett fungerande system ...antagligen ...har den blivit så misskött att den hade dött i vilket fall som helst, dock påskyndade vä ytterligare en flytt på processen ...hoppas att den inte led ...

Har i varjefall inhandlat en ny, som var frisk och i bra skick ...nu verkar den vara i ännu större form och ser magnifik ut i alla färger o vrår ...

kastar upp en bild på den samt mina ypperligt glada skivisar ...

87D56_skivisar.JPG

När jag fick dem var de hyfsade, nu har de vuxit til sig och slukat hela stenen ....ser trevliga ut ...

AAF26_ny_anemon.JPG

Så fort clownerna (A. Percula) såg den ...var de helglada ...odlade clowner som verkar känna en fantastisk hemstrevnad i deras nya bostad ....t o m min domino damsel stryker förbi anemonen ibland ...

Satte den i sanden så att den skulle få välja själv vart den vill bo, har klättrat lite under dagen och är fortfarande påväg uppåt ...

MVH

Peter

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Hittade ett supernajs inlägg på RC...

kan vara något att läsa för de som tänker på att starta upp, även för de som är veteraner...

Håll till godo :

Before delving on this one, a couple of comments:

>>I know Eric to be a promoter of letting the tank's "natural" flora and fauna proliferate for many months, and I agree that this is a very natural and safe approach. However, I think someone who has "been there" can modify these guidelines according to their experience. No, you can't rush quality - I agree that rushing things is not preferable. If I had the space and time, I would have waited longer than a month to put any animals in my tank. I guess what I'm saying is that experience can allow one to get away with some things . Then again, sometimes not. <<

I agree one can go much much faster depending on what one begins with in the first place, and depending on how many times you've done it before. that said, with the average start up, there are certain things, as mentioned, that cannot be hurried, and hurrying seems to make them worse rather than better. The experience plays a part when you are able to nip some of those things in the bud because you have dealt with them before even in a mature tank.

>>I'm going on my 4th month of cycling with no live stock other then some turbo's and blue hermits. I have been feeding on the heavy side and will start to feed live plankton for the next 4 months. Then I will start to add corals. The fish will be added very last. The one thing that I have noticed is that the diversity of life is much great during the cycling process so far.<<

Yeah, that is the amazing part...a shame most will never witness that.

>>Hi Eric, I was hoping you could help me to understand better what it means for a system to "mature" or "become established". Hobbyists (me included) are always saying not to keep that sps or this anenome for a least a year untill your system has matured.

What exactly are the differances between a tank which finished cycling a month ago and one that finished cycling 11 months ago.<<

more below

>>Does it have to do with water parameters being more stable?<< yes, nut ot necessarily

>>Does it have to do with natural food availability?<< Not sure but I don't think so.

>>Does "tank maturity" pertain more to those who utilze a DSB, because it takes 6 months for a DSB to become functional ?<<

no. Tank maturity seems to be even more of an issue without the sand bed.. The sand bed just takes some time to get enough nutrients in it to sustain populations and stratify into somewhat stable communities...seems like a longer period of time makes things go in the other direction.

So, here's the tank reason, and then I'll blow into some ecology for you.

When you get a tank, you start with no populations of anything. You get live rock to form the basis of the biodiversity - and remember that virtually everything is moderated by bacteria and photosynthesis in our tanks. So liverock is the substrate for all this stuff, and also has a lot of life on it. How much depends on a lot of things. Mostly, marine animals and plants don;t like to be out of water for a day at a time...much less the many days to sometimes a week that often happens. So, assuming you are not using existing rock form a tank, or the well-treated aquacultured stuff, you have live rock that has either relatively free of anything alive, or you have live rock with a few stragglers and a whole lot of stuff dying or about to die because it won;t survive in the tank. From the moment you start, you are in the negative. Corallines will be dying, sponges, dead worms and crustaceans and echinoids and bivavles, many of which are in the rock and you won't ever see. Not to mention the algae, cyanobacteria, and bacteria...most of whcih is dead and will decompose, or which will die and decompose. This is where the exisitng bacteria get kick started...

Bacteria grow really fast, and so they are able to grow to levels that are capable of uptaking nitrogen within...well, the cycling time of a few weeks to a month or so. However, if you realize the doubling time of these bugs, you would know that in a month, you should have a tank packed full of bacteria and no room for water. That means something is killing or eating bacteria. Also realize that if you have a tank with constant decompositon happening at a rate high enough to spike ammonia off the scale, you have a lot of bacteria food...way more than you will when things stop dying off and decomposing. So, bacterial growth may have caught up with the level of nitrogen being produced, but things are still dying...you just test zero for ammonia cause there are enough bacteria present to keep upwitht he nitrogen being released by the dying stuff....does not mean things are finished decomposing.

Now, if things are decomposing, they are releasing more than ammonia. Guess what dead sponges release? All their toxic metabolites. Guess what else? All their natural antibiotic compounds...prevents some microbes from doing very well. Same with the algae, the inverts the cyano, the dinoflagellates, etc. So, let's just figure this death and decomposition is gonna take a while. OK, so now we have a tank packed with some kinds of bacteria, probably not much of others. Eventually the death stops. Now, what happens to all that biomass of bacteria without a food source? They die. Ooops. And, denitrification is a slow process. Guess what else...bacteria also have antibiotics, toxins, etc. all released when they die. But, the die-off is slow, relative to the loss of nutrients, and there is aleady a huge population...so you never test ammonia..."The water tests fine"

But, all these swings are happening...every time, they get less and less, but they keep happening. Eventually, they slow and stabilize. What's left? A tank with limited denitrification and a whole lot of other stuff in the water. Who comes to the rescue and thrives? The next fastest growing groups...cyano's, single celled algae, protists, ciliates, etc. Then they do their little cycle thing. And then the turf algae. Turfs get mowed dow by all the little amphipods that are suddenly springing up cause they have a food source. Maybe you've boght some snails by now, too. And a fish. And the fish dies, of course, because it may not have ammonia to contend with, but is has water filled with things we can't and don't test for...plus, beginning aquarists usually skimp on lights and pumps initially, and haven't figured out that alkalinity test, so pH and O2 are probably swinging wildly at this point.

So, the algae succession kick in, and eventually you have a good algal biomass that handles nitrogen, the bacteria have long settled in and also deal with nutrients, and the aquarium keeper has probably stopped adding fish for a spell cause they keep dying and they started to visit boards and read books and get the knack of the tank a bit. They have probably also added abunch of fix-it-quick chemicals that didn;t help any, either. Also, they are probably scared to add corals that would actually help with the photosynthesis and nutrient uptake, or they have packed in corals that aren't tolerant of those conditions.

About a year into it, the sand bed is productive and has stratified, water quality is stable, and the aquarist has bought a few more powerheads, understand water quality a bit, corallines and algae, if not corals and other things are photosynthesizing well, and the tank is "mature." That's when fish stop dying when you buy them (at least the cyanide free ones) and corals start to live and grow and I stop getting posts about "I just bought a coral and its dying and my tank is two months old" and they start actually answering some questions here and there.

So, ecologically, this is successional population dynamics. Its normal, and it happens when there is a hurricane or a fire, or whatever. In nature though, you have pioneer speices that are eventually replaced by climax communities. We usually try and stock immediately with climax species. And find it doesn't always work. Now, the "too mature" system is the old tank syndrome. Happens in nature, too. That whole forest fire reinvirograting the system is true. Equally true on coral reefs where the intermediate disturbacne hypothesis is the running thought on why coral reefs maintain very high diversity...theya re stable, but not too stable, and require storms, but not catastrophic ones....predation, but not a giant blanket of crown of thorns, mass bleaching, or loss of key herbivores.

This goes to show what good approximations these tanks are of mini-ecosystems. Things happen much faster in tanks, but what do you expect given the bioload per unit area. So, our climax xommunity happens in a couple years rather than a couple of centuries. Thing is, I am fully convinced that intermediate tank disturbance would prevent old tank syndrome.

So, that's it for now...time for me to hit the hay...sorry for typos, I am typing too fast in a dark office.

Eric Borneman<!--

Hobby Experience:

--><!--

Current Tanks:

--><!--

Interests:

-->

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

• 4 veckor senare...

Har nu tagit på mig ansvaret att bygga om fassans källare =) kommer at sätta upp ett system med mellan 5 och 10 akvarium beroende på vilka storlekar jag får tag i ...skall ge mig på att odla Acropora koraller av sorter med de mest florouserande färgerna ...kommer att bli ett spännande projekt och grunden kommer att bli att samtliga kar utom ett ...skall vara ihopakopplade ....så ett stort system med samma vatten kommer att flöda igenom som en trappa ...det som blir för sig själv kommer att agera karantäns/experiment kar ...

Kommer att påbörja detta under veckan och hålla alla uppdaterade ...därav att all LS till försäljning ...är mycket välkommet =)

MVH

Peter

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Jag har 8st 220L burkar stående, ett 375L. Bara att du hör av dig.

vad har 220 L för mått ? lite det som styr då jag vill ha det lätt att jobba, samt att de inte skall ta upp för mycket plats, samt vad skall du ha för 4 st respektive 5 ? vill ha 4 i en kvadrat och då vill jag ha två fyrkanter i två olika mått typ, 4 st. 220 L i enfyrkant och en fyrkant med 100 någonting L.

Tja!

Tänker skaffa en liknande bubbelanemon som du har (gröna). Undrar om dess placering. Den verkar triavs där den sitter. Kan man få lite info om placeringen från ljuskällan, hur strömt det är etc.?

Tack på förhand,

/Vahagn

den verkar trivas trots at jag ej kör med annat än t5or, en 6500K och en 20000K. Man får tänka på att karet är 75 djupt så lysrören tappar ju en del på vägen...strömmen är en Tunze streamer 6500 L/h.

TUNZEn är placerad så att den skjuter på höger kortsida och sedan går strömmen tillbaka runt ochger BTAn vad den vill ha ....har haft den i ca 4 veckor och hittills har jag fått bra färg på den, den har vänt sig ifrån att knappt vilja ta fryst fisk och räkor mm, fick väl endast artemia innan ....till att "hugga" fatt i alt den får tag i ...jag är en liten "galen vetenskapsman" och var tvungen att prova släppa ner en sötvattensfisk för att få se nature in action...koppade in en platy i ca 2 timmar ...den simmade runt o var glad tills att den ville leka med clownfiskarna i den mjuka gröna sängen ...."SMACK" sa det ....den stack iväg med världens fart fast kom dock 15-20 cm innan den var paralyserad ...sedan sjönk den ner i anemonen som blev glad ...och nu verkar den vara helt galensmiley4.gif

den var ca 13-15 cm när jag köpte den, var så i ett par dagar ...sedan har den brett ut sig och nu uppskattar jag den till ca 35 cm i storlek ibland större ....ser väldigt trevlig ut ...är en av mina "kelgrisar ...brukar köra ner handen o hälsa på den så fort jag sall göra något med karet ...=)

MVH

Peter

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Precis så som jag skulle ha gjort låter det som smiley2.gif.Stackars plattyn aåg väl inte vad som hände...

Fast jag skulle inte vilja att mina andra invånare, typ mandarinen, ska sluta som plattyn. Fast å andra sidan så är kanske marina fiskar lite försiktigare än plattyn.

Det där med att den har brett ut sig till det dubbla är väl för att den kanske inte får tillräckligt med ljus. Läste nånstans att den breder ut sig för att maximera ytan och på så sätt kompensera ifall ljuset är inte så stark som det vore.

Men din verkar trivas ju.

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

jo jag har läst det ...dock har jag ytterligare 4 t5or samt en 150 W MH på ingång ... sedan rockar vi loss =)

he he he ...angående Platyn ...så var jag tvungen ...det var barnet i mig som tvingade vuxna ansvarsfulla peter att begå brott ...fast som jag ser det var det enda brottet jag gjorde att stoppa en sötvattens fisk bland mina underbara saltvattens gullegrisar =)

Peter

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

smiley4.gifProva med en molly nästa gång smiley2.gif.

smiley9.gifeehhh ...jag nämnde inte mollyn va =)

blev hyfsat jagad av min dvärgkejsare (Centropyge bispinosus) och min Domino (Dascyllus Trimaculatus) i ca 2-3 minuter...för attsedan försvinnain bland stenarna ...och har inte synts sedan dess ...

men men ...alla mollysar kanske inte gillar salt/bräckvatten...

Länka till kommentar
Dela på andra sidor

Gå med i konversationen

Du kan posta nu och registrera dig senare. Om du har ett konto, logga in nu för att posta med ditt konto.

Svara på detta ämne...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Ditt tidigare innehåll har återskapats.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Skapa Ny...